Restore Your Stunning Smile
You deserve to feel confident when you smile, but if you have missing or severely damaged teeth, that isn’t always easy to do. At New Image Dental, our experienced dentist, Dr. Brian J. Fitz, offers dental implants as a permanent tooth replacement solution to our patients in Streamwood, Arlington Heights, Evanston, and the Chicago area. Let our Streamwood dental team help you feel confident in your smile again.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a dental restoration attached to a small titanium post that serves as a foundation for the restoration and a substitute for the root of the tooth. Not only do dental implants restore your smile, but they also help protect your health by stimulating healthy jawbone growth and protecting you from gum disease.
Dental implants have an extremely high success rate, and the vast majority of our patients feel very satisfied with their results. Here at New Image Dental, we use natural-looking dental implants to replace any number of missing teeth. This durable, long-lasting dental restoration allows you to enjoy all of your favorite foods, speak clearly, and smile with confidence. If you’re looking for dental implants in Streamwood, we’d love to meet you to discuss your options.
Benefits of Dental Implants
When you receive a dental implant, you’ll be able to smile, bite, chew, and speak normally since the implant completely replaces your missing teeth. The benefits of dental implants are numerous, and include:
- Prevention of bone loss. When you’re missing a tooth, the jawbone in the empty space deteriorates due to a lack of stimulation in a process called resorption. An implant replaces the root along with the tooth, which restores your chewing function and provides the stimulation needed for natural bone growth.
- Behaving like natural teeth. You probably won’t be able to tell the difference between your natural teeth and your implants. You can eat, chew, brush, and floss normally.
- Keeping adjacent teeth stable. The gap from a missing tooth can cause your adjacent teeth to shift and become crooked, leading to more dental problems. Dental implants will help your teeth stay stable.
- Gum disease prevention. Gaps left by missing teeth act as a trap for food or bacteria, which increases your risk of gum disease. Implants fill these gaps, helping to prevent infection.
- They can last a lifetime. While your crown may need to be replaced every ten to fifteen years due to normal wear and tear, the dental implant itself can last a lifetime. Proper oral hygiene helps increase your odds of keeping your implants for life.
- No cavities. While you’ll have to care for your dental implant the same way you do with the rest of your teeth, by brushing and flossing, you won’t have to worry about cavities in your restoration.
The Dental Implants Process
The dental implants process might seem a bit daunting, but it can be completed in just a few visits to our Streamwood office. The journey begins with your initial consultation with our dentist, Dr. Fitz, and the rest of our team. During this visit, we’ll take the time to address any questions or concerns you may have. We’ll evaluate your oral health, discuss your smile goals, and personalize a treatment plan for you.
If dental implants are right for you, we’ll help you schedule an appointment for implant placement. The process then proceeds as follows:
- Tooth extraction— If you have a tooth that needs replacing, the first step will be extraction. This can be completed at the same time as your implant insertion. We’ll apply a local anesthetic to the affected area so all you’ll feel is a gentle tugging.
- Dental implant placement and bone grafting— There are two types of dental implants: under your gum line and into your jawbone. We may recommend a bone graft depending on the condition of your jaw and the type of implant. In most cases, this can be done on the same day as your implant surgery.
- Abutment placement— When the implant is stable enough, the dentist will place an abutment on top of the implant. This connects the implant to your customized dental restoration. Before the procedure, we’ll apply a local anesthetic so all you should feel is light pressure.
- Adding the permanent crown— After your gums have healed, Dr. Fitz will securely place your restoration. Your restoration can be fixed in place or removable depending on your needs.
Dental Implants FAQs
Is the dental implant procedure painful?
While you may feel some soreness or discomfort after the procedure, getting dental implants should never be painful. Our team will make sure your mouth is numb before we proceed to ensure you don’t feel any pain. Any discomfort following your procedure can be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication.
How do I care for my new dental implants?
After your procedure, Dr. Fitz will go over proper aftercare instructions with you to make sure your mouth heals quickly. Once you have healed, you’ll care for your dental implants just like you would your natural teeth. Brush twice daily, floss once a day, and make sure to visit your dentist at least twice a year.
Will my insurance cover my dental implants?
Dental implants are usually considered a restorative procedure, so a portion of the cost should be covered by your dental insurance. However, it’s best to call your provider beforehand or ask our team to help you figure out your coverage. If you do not have dental insurance, please ask us about our Smile Advantage Plans so we can help keep things affordable for you.
Permanent Smile Restoration at New Image Dental
Dr. Brian J. Fitz at New Image Dental has been restoring smiles in the Streamwood, IL area for over 30 years. If you’re curious about dental implants, call our office at (630) 837-0887 today, or simply fill out this contact form to request an appointment. We look forward to meeting you and helping you restore your smile!